Your closing FAQ


Every closing is special and unique.  It is our job to act as your guide throughout the process. See below for some of the more frequently asked questions. As always, please feel free to contact us any time with additional questions or concerns.


Who will be handling my file?

Every file is handled by a friendly and experienced closing coordinator.  This person will be your contact throughout the process.  Once your file has been set up in our office, your coordinator will reach out to you via telephone and email with information and helpful tips to make your closing go as smoothly as possible. Protecting you and your personal information is of paramount importance to us. Therefore, one of the many things we do to protect you is have you set up a secure account through Qualia, our closing software, in order to communicate securely about your closing transaction. When we communicate through this portal no information ever leaves the site. An additional benefit of using Qualia is that you can log in through the Qualia App and find out the status of your closing at anytime. We will keep you informed of each step along the way!


What do I need to bring to closing?

If you are a buyer click here, if you are a seller click here and if you are an agent click here for our helpful closing checklists.


How much will Title Insurance be?

Click here to access our online rate calculator.


I have to bring money to the closing. What forms of payment do you accept? 

O.C.G.A § 44-14-13 ( a.k.a the Georgia Good Funds Law)requires that all funds exceeding the sum of $5,000.00 must be in the form of a wire transfer only.  No official or certified check will be accepted.  Please be aware that ACH transfers are not the same as wires and cannot be considered settled funds under the Georgia good funds law.  Please contact your closing coordinator to receive our wiring instructions.


How long does a closing last?

On average, a closing will take approximately one hour.  However, this is only an approximation.  We do respect your time and we will get everything handled in the most efficient way possible.


What if I cannot attend the closing? 

We have a few options for you to choose from in making the best decision for your particular situation.  In all cases, please let us know this information as soon as possible in order to avoid delay.

a. Early signing –You would need to schedule a time to sign your paperwork in advice of the scheduled closing.  This is contingent on your paperwork being available earlier than the actual signing date.  This is often not a possibility with your lender, so please check with them immediately to have this arranged.  Our office would then hold the documents in escrow until the actual date of the closing. Additional charges do apply for this service.

b. Power of Attorney – We will be happy to provide you with a Power of Attorney (POA). This document is governed by your state's law and it must be drafted and signed accordingly. We will have to obtain a copy of your photo identification and will need an original copy prior to closing. Additional charges do apply for this service.  Please also keep in mind that if you are closing with a lender, they will need to approve the use of a POA in advance.

c. Mail away signing – In this case, we would mail you the documents for signature.  We will insist on one of our attorneys being on the phone while you execute the package to ensure that the law in your state is followed and that you have no unanswered questions. Depending on which state you are in you may have to provide a witness and notary to be present while you sign. These types of signings necessitate a good bit of preparation and coordination, and additional fees do apply for this service.


What if the one of the parties in my transaction is a Corporation, LLC or Trust? 

Please contact your closing coordinator immediately so that we can provide  a list of the documents we will require to close.  These documents have to be provided in advance of closing.


Should I buy an owner’s title insurance policy?  

If you have a lender, then you have to purchase a title policy insuring the lender. However, the lender policy only protects the lender in case of default on your loan or if there are title issues and the lender needs to foreclose on the property. It does not insure you as the purchaser of real property.  Therefore, we strongly suggest you obtain an Owner’s Title Insurance policy to insure you against loss or damage resulting from defects in the title. This policy would also cover defense costs in the event you ever have a challenge to your claim of title.